Tease: Plus there's cool desktop art on the site now (see end of article)
It's great to see this sort of interest in a niche area, and with a unusual article structure. At this point anyone that's visited the site knows 8BH articles are filled with precise and extensive gameplay breakdowns games of now and yesteryear.
8 Bit Horse covers games that are 2D in art and gameplay, and focus on action.
The site is not a daily blog in which topical news pops up then quickly melts from the front page. Instead, each article is an often long investigation of the gameplay in a particular title. Games are organized into lists such as Upcoming, Current, and Heritage. Links for all games are maintained on the front page, making it simple to browse through the lists.
In looking at the hits on the site we gathered together bunch of fun stats:
Over 180,000 hits
Over 100 articles
- 21 heritage games featured
- Over 80 current and upcoming games featured
- Over 100 additional games covered in 2D CRED sections (featuring developers' other works), including these notable titles:
- Maestro! Jump in Music, Bitejacker: Secret Base Horror Series 01, Legend of Princess, Noitu Love & The Army of Grinning Darns, Aquaria, Eternal Daughter, Soul, the Johnny Platform series, JoyJoy, Challenge from Kiyoshi, Digidrive, the PixelJunk series, Mirror's Edge 2D, NyxQuest, A Game with a Kitty, Tuper Tario Tros., rComplex, Super Tank Run, the Soulcaster series, Ninja Senki, The Adventures of Shuggy, Insectoid
Most popular article: Demon's Crest - 2/5/2010
- Over 10,000 words
- Nearly 200 images
Biggest article: Wario Land 3 - 3/3/2011
- 14,000 words
- Over 250 images
First article: Jackal - 10/17/2009
- 4,000 words
- 24 images
Most popular feature:
Super Mario Bros. 101: Lessons in 2D Game Design
- A list of 2D games in development, each with a quick description.
- Currently 68 games on the list
- 26 updates since it originally went live on 10/27/2010 (near 1 year anniversary)
- Total games listed from the start: 125!
- Original post had 23 games including these notable titles: - Acceleration of SUGURI, Astroman, Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury, Bastion, Capsized, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, La-Mulana*, Monster Tale, NightSky, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Rayman Origins, Retro City Rampage*, Spelunky*.
* Denotes title is still on the list.
The 8BH YouTubeChannel has over 10,000 video views.
- 16 investigative, 2D game developer interviews, including Michel Gagné (Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet), and Team Meat (Super Meat Boy), and Jamie Cheng (Shank)!
- 5 "Oddities in 2D" episodes
And here's some great art for your desktop! All your favorite characters in their native resolutions, partying down around a remixed Mario level.
|Click for original size! SD size on the 8BH site as well.|